Friday, 27 January 2017

Review: You Don't Know My Name by Kristen Orlando



You Don't Know My Name by Kristen Orlando
Published by Swoon Reads
Expected Publication Date: by January 10th, 2017
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 320
Series: The Black Angel Chronicles - Book One
Format: ARC
Source: Requested by publisher

Summary from Goodreads: 
Fighter. Faker. Student. Spy.

Seventeen-year-old Reagan Elizabeth Hillis is used to changing identities overnight, lying to every friend she’s ever had, and pushing away anyone who gets too close. Trained in mortal combat and weaponry her entire life, Reagan is expected to follow in her parents’ footsteps and join the ranks of the most powerful top-secret agency in the world, the Black Angels. Falling in love with the boy next door was never part of the plan. Now Reagan must decide: Will she use her incredible talents and lead the dangerous life she was born into, or throw it all away to follow her heart and embrace the normal life she’s always wanted? And does she even have a choice?

Buy Links:


Review:

A predictable spy story.

Seventeen-year-old Reagan Elizabeth Hillis, used to training in mortal combat and weaponry, is expected to follow in her parents' footsteps. Joining the ranks of the top secret agency in the world, the Black Angels, should be anything but a burden. But falling in love with the boy next door is anything but expected. With her plans unraveling around her, Reagan must decide if she will use her gifts and follow her parents' footsteps or throw everything she worked for away to follow her heart and possibly live the normal life she always wanted. Does she even have a choice?


"There's no such thing as perfect. But there's always the chance of wonderful."


You Don't Know My Name was an okay book to read. It took a rather cliche idea, a normal girl in disguise who is actually a spy, and did an overall okay job. In regards to the main character, Reagan, I was on the fence about how I felt about her. At times I liked her character but then some things would occur that would make me dislike her. Reagan is a character that you will either love or hate. In the end, I disliked her more than I liked her. 

I enjoyed the romance between Reagan and her neighbour, Luke. Though it did seem to become weaker as the novel progressed. I also enjoyed reading about the friends she makes and the struggles she has not only as a teenager but also as a spy in high school.

Something that definitely diminished my enjoyment in the novel was the writing. There was a lot of repetition, more telling than showing, and don't even get me started on Reagan's emotions. I felt frustrated and annoyed with the fact that the author kept trying to state every single thing. Nothing was subtle, everything had to be spelled out. 

Overall, You Don't Know My Name is a quick read. However, I don't think I will be picking up the second book since I didn't really enjoy the writing in this book. If you're looking for a simple spy story then feel free to check this one out, otherwise I would recommend checking out any one of Ally Carter's books. They are more fast-paced and filled with adventure, action, and romance. 


Rating:



About The Author:
Elly Blake loves fairy tales, old houses, and owls. After earning a BA in English literature, she held a series of seemingly random jobs, including project manager, customs clerk, graphic designer, reporter for a local business magazine, and library assistant. She lives in Southwestern Ontario with her husband, kids and a Siberian Husky mix who definitely shows Frostblood tendencies.

 photo icongoodreads32_zps60f83491.png  photo icontwitter-32x32_zpsae13e2b2.png 

Goodreads badge add plus